This week we are discussing blogger privacy.
1. Do you think privacy is something we should worry about as bloggers?
I think privacy is something we need to worry about whenever using the internet, whether you are a blogger or not. It is WAY to easy to find information about people on the internet. I found out the city/state and a little other information about the hater who left me a comment a few weeks back… All from a simple Google search with the IP address!
2. Do you use your real name or a pen name? What was behind that decision?
I use a nickname (Suze). My real name is Susan, and I’m pretty sure most people know it. I just figured I’d rather go by my nickname. It wasn’t really that thought out, LOL.
3. How much personal information do you reveal about your life beyond the blog?
I talk about my husband and life a little, and post photos of my cats. But I try to be careful about posting identifying information, because I don’t want someone to stalk me, LOL.
4. What will you never reveal?
My complete, full, legal name. No one will ever guess it, but I’ll also never tell. That’s one thing only people IRL need to know. I also am careful about putting photos of my friends on my blog- they know when I’m going to do it, and are OK with it. I’d never post of photo of someone who didn’t want to be up there.
And, I try to be careful about how much/what I say about my job. This blog is just what I do after work and on weekends- it has nothing to do with my 9-5.
5. As bloggers, we have, to an extent, made ourselves ‘public’ figures. But still there are things that are intimate to each of us that does not need to be known by anyone that stumbles across our blog. How do you determine what is appropriate for public consumption and what is private to you?
My mom reads my blog. If I would tell her what’s going on, I’ll put it on the blog. If I wouldn’t tell her, it doesn’t get written down.
I also (now) have some coworkers aware of my blog. I don’t know if they read it, but I certainly don’t want to talk about anything that they might find appalling. If it would be considered “water cooler talk,” my lips are sealed.
And beyond all that, sometimes you need to have a certain level of privacy. I am true to myself on this blog. I write about what I know and what I’ve experienced, but I certainly don’t talk about EVERYTHING on this blog.
If you’d like to be involved in Friend Friday, or want to read other answers, head over to Modly Chic!