When trying to decide who I wanted to be my featured blogger for June, I decided on someone who found me through a comment I left on another blog, whose style, attitude and passion I truly admire.
I’m pleased to introduce Alya from Kookulai as my June featured blogger.
She has fabulous style, great post titles and always infuses her personality into her posts. She’s always true to herself, which is something I really admire.
1. Describe your blog in three words. Much needed outlet.
2. What/who are your style inspirations? This is such a hard question! I never go for a person, whether it be someone famous or another blogger when answering this, because I seem to gather ideas more often from the positioning of my surroundings in a very simple, base way. An example being something like purple flowers against a red barn – that sort of image would make me realize that the two colors actually look good when paired together and strive to try it with clothing. The end result is far removed from the inspiration, of course, but that’s the fun of it, for me.
3. What are your three favorite things in your closet? First and foremost, my Jessica Simpson wedges, of course! I bought them for $10 so many years ago but wear them constantly.
Second, I am in absolute love with the J Crew long, merino wool cardigans I bought last season. I wish I had one in every color. They’re so lightweight and the right length to pair with just about anything.
I also quite like my high-waisted, pleated and cropped trousers though I was pretty adverse to pants before buying them. What a single item can do…
4. What outfit would you buy if money was no object?
Obviously, any girl in her right mind will pick Louboutin shoes and I am no exception!
Otherwise, even with an imaginary unlimited budget, I’m easy to please. I appreciate runway looks but don’t ever feel the urge to translate them for everyday wear. I like simplicity and neutrals – I’d love to put those sandals with a dress like this
and some black accessories: A belt, long necklaces, big cocktail ring.
5. What are your top five stores to shop at?
Old Navy provides most the basics in my wardrobe while Forever 21 takes care of anything trendy, and their inability to make an appropriate length hem for someone of my height is perfect because I actively seek out borderline inappropriate mini skirts. I always find shoes for a good price in Marshall’s, love J Crew for investment pieces; I have to remind myself that the store is out of my normal price range, but I will spring for the things I really love like the cardigans mentioned above. And I think it goes without saying I love thrift stores! I always find the best belts and printed shirts to add what is lacking to my closet.
6. Favorite style icon?
Though it is not able to be duplicated by the masses, I adore Lady Gaga’s completely insane fashion choices. She does whatever she wants and whether is looks good or not I will defend every single outfit for that reason alone.
7. What was your favorite blog post to write?
The recent post where I finally got “real” was the most satisfying and therefore my favorite to write, because I feel like the blog up until that point was an inaccurate representation of me. Somewhat ironic perhaps since little of it pertained to the blog’s main point, what I’m wearing. I think most style/fashion bloggers infuse their social and personal lives with their outfit posts, but I think an overriding theme is leaving out unpleasant details. It is very unpleasant for me to admit to having problems with addiction and leading a self-destructive life, yet to withhold that information is tantamount to lying, at least in my mind. I think it turned many people off since bloggers are routinely referred to in these type of features as sweet, adorable, cute, etc. and I finally made it clear that despite what you see, the reality is much different. I am satisfied with my choice though it did not paint me in the best light, and feel a great sense of relief for my confession.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
In five years I plan to calm myself down considerably and have a teaching position, which is what I went to school for, though I will probably maintain a part-time position in a restaurant. I also am very interested in writing and would hope by then that I am successful with that as well. All my debauchery will make for quite a memoir, I believe.
9. Anything else you’d like to share?
Nobody has ever questioned the name of my blog, which I find odd. But otherwise, just that I am flattered to be chosen as a featured blogger, and I really enjoyed answering the questions. Thank you so much!