I’m proud to announce my featured blogger for May,
V. from Grit and Glamour!
I was introduced to her blog through Cher. I have to say I’m very impressed with her outfits and her posts. I look at her fashion as a great inspiration to someone like me who’s trying to figure out how to mix stuff together and get out of their comfort zone.
She also writes other non-fashion posts, like her recent post “What You Didn’t Know About Your Hairdresser.” She’s a great writer, with great clothes. (I want to raid her closet!!)
1. Explain your blog in three words
According. To. V.
2. What/who are your style inspirations?
My style inspiration comes from bits and pieces I see in real life, as well as from online sources, magazines, and celebrity photos. I might build a look around a single piece, or a feeling I have—sometimes I’m feeling rebellious, other times I might feel old Hollywood, red-lipstick glam. In terms of style stalking, Sarah-Jane Clarke and Heidi Middleton of Sass & Bide have epic, sick style. I worship at their feet. I also love today’s Victoria Beckham, Dita Von Teese, and Diane Kruger. And of course, the one-and-only Tom Ford.
3. What are your three favorite things in your closet?
Dolce Vita “Crystal” suede studded sandals, my black Witchery Mongolian lamb vest from Australia, and my leather-and-brass harness by Sass & Bide, also from Australia. Um, let’s make it four. Never was good at sticking to the rules. My Aldo thigh-high boots. Love those.
4. What outfit would you buy if money was no object?
I’d beg Tom Ford to make (again, just for me) the white dress and gold fur-trimmed sandals featured in the Gucci fall/winter 2004 ad campaign. Tom Ford’s best collections for Gucci were 2003 and 2004, and they absolutely haunt me to this very day. Then I’d beg Tom to let me into his world—in that dress—for one night. Martinis, swanning, and schmoozing with him as my date. That’s the fashion fantasy I’d use my money to buy.
5. What are your top five stores to shop at? (you can say for what pieces/ why)
1. BCBG for everything: shoes, dresses, accessories, separates.
2. Nordstrom mostly for shoes and accessories, but I also like the array of office-appropriate attire and the killer return policy.
3. Old Navy for basics like cargo pants, hoodies, tank tops, plain string bikinis.
4. David Jones at Westfield Bondi Junction in Sydney, Australia. It has everything I love: the Foodhall (think Dean & Deluca, on steroids), Sass & Bide, Witchery, and other Aussie faves all under one roof.
5 Neiman Marcus for high-end designers and my can’t-live-without beauty cream, Creme de la Mer.
6. Do you have any advice for others looking to start writing their own blog?
I’ve been blogging for four years, and only last year did I figure out the direction I wanted to head in. So my advice to those looking to start a blog is just do it. Write, and write often. There are millions of blogs these days, so while I think wanting to be the next superstar blogger is a great goal, the best thing is to blog about what you love and do best.
Don’t go crazy on the ads. My biggest peeve is blogs that are riddled with all kinds of ads, especially animated ones. I have two. I may consider future offers from advertisers, but I have very rigid requirements. In fact, this is the first year I’ve included any sort of advertising.
Spellcheck and proofread. The occasional typo happens, but you cannot maintain credibility if posts are regularly full of grammar and spelling errors. And if you don’t know which platform to use, go for WordPress. I’ve tried almost all of them. It’s the smartest.
Finally, if you build it, and build it well, they will come.
7. What was your favorite blog post to write?
Curiously, it wasn’t even a fashion-related post. I had a blast recalling the conversation that prompted “Everything You Wanted to Know About Kanon’s Cohones But Were Afraid to Ask.” Sometimes truth really IS stranger than fiction!
8. Anything else you want to share?
For more grit, more glamour:
Subscribe to Grit and Glamour (RSS or Bloglovin’ links available)
Follow me on Twitter @gritandglamour
Read my reviews/scoop on In Their Closet
Submit a question through Formspring